The Thumbprint Signature Program was created by the Texas Bankers Association to provide a simple, effective and inexpensive method for preventing and deterring check fraud. The deterrent aspect of the program is its strongest advantage.
How does it work?
The program works as a natural deterrent. Persons wanting to cash a check are asked to place an impression of their thumbprint on the face of the check using a small "inkless" touch pad which leaves no stain or residue on users or clothing. The procedure is quick, simple and clean.
Criminals seeking to commit check fraud are unlikely to put their thumbprints on bogus checks. Those who are foolish enough to cooperate leave a positive ID that can be turned over to law enforcement to be used in cases where fraud is suspected. In many cases, law enforcement will not pursue a check fraud case unless they have this ID.
- Over 120 Texas banks participate in the program
- Over 400 Texas retailers participate in the program
- Adopted by 38 state banking associations
Thumbprint Signature Products:
- Touch Pads – The pads have a shelf life of 18 months or a minimum of 500 impressions. Be sure to order enough for all your tellers.
- Decals – Post decals at all entrances to let people know you are participating in the program and to warn potential criminals that their crimes will not go undetected.
- Window Displays – Post these 6x3-inch "tent-style" display signs at your teller windows as an additional reminder that you participate in the program.
- Statement Stuffers (Banks Only) – These 3.5” x 7.5” brochures explain the mechanics of the program in easy to understand language. Banks should send them as a public service announcement to all account holders at least three times during implementation of the program. Banks should also keep plenty available for anyone who might have questions about the program. Available in increments of 500 only.
Complete and submit the appropriate order form to place your order. All forms are downloadable and may be submitted via fax or email.
Texas Bank Order Form or TBA members order online
Credit Union Order Form
Retail Order Form (for merchants and government)
For more information call 512-472-8388.