Grassroots Action Center: Send letters & e-mails to your elected officials.
Who do you know: Tell us if you have relationships with state and/or federal elected officials.
Legislative Activity & Grassroots
The power of government and regulatory bodies to shape the future of the banking industry is unquestionable. It simply will not do to stand in the wings and watch while banking laws and regulations are being formulated. That is why the TBA Legal Department is leading the charge in our industry's government relations efforts. TBA maintains one of the most powerful and effective lobbying efforts in the nation.
TBA has four registered lobbyist on staff. They work in conjunction with TBA's team of hired lobbyists to coordinate the association's legislative activities and serve as a banking information resource for legislators, congressional members and their staffs.
What we do
- During legislative sessions, the TBA Legal Department analyzes thousands of bills filed in subject areas affecting banking and insurance. We also monitor the legislative calendar, committee meetings and floor activity for issues that affect the business of banking and, when necessary, provide testimony on your behalf.
- In past legislative sessions, we have successfully drafted and passed legislation beneficial to Texas banks. TBA has been equally successful in defeating scores of bills that would have been devastating to the banking industry.
- We meet regularly with top industry officials, including the Department of Banking, The Department of Savings and Mortgage Lending, the OCC, the FDIC and the Federal Reserve, to discuss pertinent issues affecting the industry. We also monitor the rule-making activities of various federal and state agencies whose jurisdiction either directly or indirectly impacts the banking industry.
- TBA attorneys often offer public testimony before the Legislature and agencies on both the state and federal levels, to advocate TBA's position on given matters. We also assist in drafting testimony and coordinating the appearances of TBA representatives and member banks before these public forums.
- We are dedicated to representing our members at the national level. Because of aggressive work by the association, lawmakers in Washington, D.C., have been, and continue to be, exposed to a banking agenda critical to Texas.
What you can do
TBA attorneys are hard at work on legislative matters. Banker involvement, however, is key to a successful government relations process. We’re working hard for you, but we can’t do it alone. To begin or continue your involvement in TBA's banker grassroots effort, please visit the TBA Legislative Action Center.
Also, please tell us if you have relationships with state and/or federal elected officials with our Who do you know form.